Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Ending of a Good Year

I can't believe it has been over a month since I have updated my blog! I also have no idea how we are already at the end of another year! It went by so fast, and looking back on it brings back smiles; which is always positive. This year I made the leap and moved back to my home state, California. I took the leap, quit my job in DC, and moved over to the West in the hope of finding a new job. Starting back was a little scary, but my friends and family are probably the most supportive group of people I know. They helped me find a job in a restaurant while I looked for a job in my field, they let me stay in their homes/apts during contract jobs, and every time I was feeling down, they were right there to pick me back up. I have now started a job back in the field I studied for, just bought my first brand new car, and am living close to my family again! I am blessed beyond belief!

Furthermore, the holidays were good to me this year (hence the lack of any new entries), and although I am excited for them to come around every year, I find that they are also so exhausting and that I am sometimes a little thankful once they are done as well. The eating and drinking, parties, and festivities are a thrill, but also exhausting! It was great to see the family though; I never tire of family time! With everything going on though I made sure to find time for some reading, and wanted to give a quick update on books I have loved, traditions I kept, and some of my possible New Year's resolutions.

Two of my favorite things about the holidays are the music and movies. The day after Thanksgiving I start with the music. I know, I know, technically it isn't December yet, but I only get a month to enjoy it so I don't usually feel too bad. My mom and I every year also try to watch as large a variety of movies as possible. Sometimes it is difficult because I can only come home for a short period of time, and we also want to bake cookies, visit with friends you haven't seed in awhile, and finish the shopping and wrapping of presents. This year though we were able to watch a few, and I think my favorite of the year was White Christmas. you really just can't beat that classic, and although I love A Christmas Story and Elf, the music in the movie gets me every time!

This year I also took part in The Broke and Bookish Secret Santa Exchange, and it was sooooo much fun! I loved taking part in finding books for a book lover, and it was also exciting to get my package in the mail. My secret Santa spoiled me for sure! I don't know if I could thank them enough! One of the books, Fangirl, I have been wanting FOREVER, and I read it in a day. I just could not put the book down, and recommend reading it on a day that's rainy or at least one where you don't have anything else to do. I actually heard about it through The Broke and the Bookish. I have started reading more YA as of late, and finding that I am really enjoying them. I am on to Last Letter From Your Lover next and can't wait to dive into it. I also re-read Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time, and it was as amazing as ever. Even more, my best friend gave me an infinity scarf with an excerpt of the book printed on it for an early birthday present! Needless to say, I absolutely love it, and have worn it everywhere!

 Looking back over the year though for my bookish resolutions though I found out I was a little behind on my resolutions. I know now I am not going to make the challenge for Goodreads I made (always next year!) and I won't make the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge either! For the historical fiction challenge I aimed to read 10 books, but only made it to 6. For my Goodreads challenge I was hoping to finish 45 books during the year and so far have completed 39. Close, and even though I didn't make it, I have confidence I am going to do better this year! I am always looking for new book goals too, so if anyone knows of some good ones, please let me know!

Well, that's all the updates I have for know. I will probably be writing more really soon on the couple of books I have read lately. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and a safe and happy New Year as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment